Following heavy rainfall that had been forecast, an automotive equipment company began real-time monitoring of data recorded by the nearest water point and the low point of the river banks on its site. The operator implemented actions designed to:
- remove any outdoor storage areas;
- check that building doors are closed;
- keep managerial staff informed;
- ensure that strategic moulds are not stored at the lower end of the site;
- charge batteries in advance to ensure that logistics operations in the area continue uninterrupted;
- move materials-handling equipment and vehicles away from flood-prone areas.
Although the company’s production facilities were not directly affected by this flood event, it was forced to stop production following shutdowns suffered by its main customer.